Another name (other vernacular names) :
- Withania somnifera,
- Tamil - Amukara , Amukkilaachedi , Amukkuram , Karappaan Thazhai
- Telugu - Penneru , Vajigandha
- English - Winter Cherry
- Gujarati - Ghodaasun
- Hindi - Ashwagandha ,अश्वगंधा, Rasbhari
- Kannada - Kanchuki
- Malayalam -Amukkuram
- Marathi - Ghodatilli,
- Other -Ajagandha, Amukkira , Indian Ginseng , Varahakarni ,
Interesting Facts and information :
- Ashwagandha is an evergreen shrub that grows in Asia and Africa. It is commonly used for Stress.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), also known as Indian Ginseng, is an Herb used in Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India. Its root has a horsey smell and is Said to confer the strength and virility of a horse.
- In Sanskrit, ashva means "horse," and gandha means "smell." Various parts of the plant are used, but the most common supplemental form is an extract of its roots. There is little evidence for its use as an "adaptogen."
Therapeutic uses :
- All plant parts are used including the roots, bark, leaves, Fruit, and Seed, are used to treat nervous disorders, intestinal infections, and leprosy.
- Ashwagandha is one of the most widespread tranquilizers used in India, where it holds a position of importance similar to Ginseng in China. It acts mainly on the reproductive and nervous systems, having a rejuvenating effect on the body, and is used to improve lives and provide recovery after illness.
- It is also used to treat nervous exhaustion, Insomnia, debility, wasting diseases, failure to thrive in children, impotence, Infertility, multiple sclerosis, etc. Externally it has been applied as a poultice to boils, swellings, and other painful parts.
- Withania is considered an Adaptogen and so is used in several diseases.
You can find more Spices & Herbs related articles. Click here
At remedyathome.com, you can find more related exciting articles.
Thank you for visiting us!