- Periodontal disease
- Causes of periodontal disease
- Risk factors
- Prevention and treatment
According to reports, 34-40% of Adult people have periodontal disease. It is a general condition that can be divided into two main categories: Gingivitis, the initial stage of periodontal disease, and Periodontitis, the advanced stage.
Periodontitis is an inflammatory condition characterized by damage to the bone and connective tissues surrounding the teeth. Inflammatory Gums represent loose teeth, Periodontitis (chronic, aggressive, necrotizing, etc.), with the final stage the tooth loss.
Gingivitis is an inflammation of the Gums and is Characterized by swollen, red Gums that bleed easily. It is characterized by bad breath and destruction of the connective tissues supporting the teeth and, if not treated properly, can lead to Periodontitis.
Causes of periodontal disease
Periodontal disease is caused due to the overgrowth of bacteria and the creation of microbial plaque in the teeth. Dental Plaque, in turn, is created due to the accumulation of food in the teeth and the overgrowth of Microbes because of a lack of oral hygiene.
In combination with Saliva Salts, microbial Dental Plaque leads to the formation of stones, which is difficult to remove.
The most common risk factors of periodontal disease are:
- Hormonal Changes
- Diseases like Diabetes
Prevention and treatment
Prevention and treatment of Periodontitis require proper oral hygiene.
- Proper brushing of teeth and Gums. Use soft toothbrushes that do not destroy tooth enamel and do not irritate/bleed Gums.
- Quit smoking, as it significantly increases the Chances of having periodontal disease.
- Have a balanced diet rich in Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, so that body can quickly restore the damaged tissues.
- Use of tongue cleanser
- Systematic use of dental floss and interdental brushes.
- Use toothpaste for Periodontitis. Avoid using extreme kinds of toothpaste, significantly if your Gums have receded. Types of toothpaste may contain fluoride, metal Salts, peroxide, Soda, and xylitol.
- Use of suitable oral solutions for Periodontitis. Chlorhexidine is one of the most common and effective ingredients that reduce Microbes and treat Gingivitis, and its use is for a short period. Avoid oral solutions that contain Alcohol.
- Do not grit your teeth, especially if the teeth are loose. Use Gumshields during sleep.
In any case, you should visit a dentist or periodontist who will appreciate the Severity of Periodontitis and suggest appropriate treatment.
On Remedyathome.com, you can find various natural treatments for other body problems!